My Military Benefits
This link provides a list of organizations who help children of military servicemembers and Veterans.
The Missouri Returning Heroes Act provides reduced tuition for certain combat veterans attending public institutions of higher education.
Department of Veterans Affairs
The Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship allows some eligible Veterans and dependents in high-demand fields to extend their Post-9/11 GI Bill or Fry Scholarship benefits. Read below to find out if you’re eligible for up to 9 months (or $30,000) of added benefits and how to apply.
The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) is responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and managing prekindergarten through 12th grade educational programs on behalf of the Department of Defense (DoD). The Military Interstate Compact will ensure that the children of military families are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children and are not penalized or delayed in achieving their educational goals. For more information contact Christine Nobbe at (573) 751-7754.
Stephens College
Mission Promise Kept is a college program designed to meet the full spectrum of living and learning needs of women veterans. Participants and their children will live in a newly renovated on-campus apartment and receive the wraparound supports they need to thrive through a coordinated network of programs and services. For more information contact Elizabeth Herrera at (573) 876-7178 ext. 4168 or email:
Missouri National Guard Logo
The Missouri State Tuition Assistance Program is available to Soldiers and Airmen of the Missouri National Guard (MONG) meeting the current Missouri State eligibility requirements outlined in 11 CSR 10-3.015.
KU Veterans Upward Bound
Offers free supportive services to ensure that Veterans have the motivation and skills necessary to enter and graduate from a post-secondary institution. Upward Bound is a TRIO Program funded by the U.S. Department of Education serving Veterans in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area including Leavenworth and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas, and Jackson, Cass, and Clay Counties in Missouri. For more information contact Lisa Schley at (913) 321-5512 or
The Veterans Education and Training Section is the State Approving Agency (SAA) for Missouri and is located in Jefferson City with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. The Missouri SAA is responsible for approving GI Bill programs in Missouri for Veterans and other eligible individuals.
This link provides information on how those who are interested in becoming substitute teacher in Missouri can do so. CALL: (573) 751-0051 or EMAIL: for more information.
This news article discusses a recent modification to substitute teacher requirements in Missouri.
The Missouri legislature created Operation Recognition in September 2001 to provide honorary high school diplomas for veterans and civilian prisoners of war (POWs) who left high school before graduation to serve in the military. To date, over 1,600 honorary high school diplomas have been awarded to Missouri veterans. For more information call (573) 751-2571.
Warriors to Work
Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) Warriors to Work® (WtoW) program provides warriors and their family members with the resources and assistance they need to be successful in the civilian workforce. Program participants learn the skills necessary to find meaningful employment, live financially resilient lives, and be empowered to reach their highest career ambitions.